Monday, June 27, 2011

I Want to Poll Your Twitter

I have sort of a love/ hate relationship with twitter.

I love it, but I think it's completely moronic.

Frankly the idea that everyone needs to know every little thought we have is stupid. None of us are that wise or that interesting. When I decided to give twitter a try, I didn't know what to do with it. Why would anyone want to follow me? I subscribe to the Groucho Marx theory of connectivity. I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member.

And that's when it hit me. I decided to make a point of how ridiculous twitter was. Most people try to be as "insightful" and interesting as possible in order to gain followers. My goal then became to be as offensive and unloved as possible to lose followers. It was an experiment. I'm fascinated by people's reactions. I wanted to know what I had to do to get someone to drop me.

Unfortunately it's had an adverse reaction. The worse I got, the more followers I gained.

The problem is I use twitter for business, personal and hedonistic reasons. And honestly, even my actual friends have admitted to wanting to or in some case choosing to delete me. It amuses me when random followers delete me. Not so with the people I actually talk to.

So now I'm thinking of having two accounts. One private, one for all my nonsense.

Should I do it? Or should I just say fuck 'em if they can't take a joke?

No comments:

Post a Comment